The combat rules in each game line are similar but not identical. In mixed combat, ST discretion applies. (If there's no ST and no agreement between players, then flip a coin.)
Here are some general reminders and guidelines/suggestions. For full details, have a book handy.
- Weapon and armor stats are per +equip.
- Extra successes on the attack roll add dice to the damage roll.
- Successful defensive actions subtract dice from the damage roll, but never all of them.
- Powerful attacks may damage armor but generally don't destroy it.
- Unnamed mooks may only have 3 or 4 health levels.
- Penalties may be mitigated by relevant merits, gifts, etc.
- Each turn, your initiative rating is Dexterity + Wits + 1d10, see '+help +combat'.
- Option: Keep the first turn's order for the entire combat.
- Option: Pack initiative (W20 267).
- Declare intended actions, low to high, including spending Willpower / blood / Rage (extra actions).
- Perform actions, high to low.
- Faster option (mostly for PRPs): Declare and perform, high to low. Pose your result while the next PC works on their game mechanics.
- Split actions: Split smallest dice pool across all actions.
- Alternatively, first has penalty of N (N = number of additional actions), second has penalty of N+1, third has penalty of N+2, etc.
- All defensive actions: Instead, first is normal, second has penalty of 1, third has penalty of 2, etc.
- Extra actions (e.g. Celerity, Rage): No penalty, but cannot split them further.
- Extra (not split) actions occur at the end of the turn.
|Vampire, ghoul||Stamina + Fortitude||Stamina + Fortitude||Fortitude|
|Shifter not in breed form||Stamina||Stamina||Stamina|
- Garou vs silver (+rules kryptonite): Only homid and lupus in breed form can soak it. Similar for fera.
- Too Tough to Die merit allows soaking lethal.
|Description||Penalty||Movement||Heal bashing||Heal lethal/aggravated|
|Bruised||No penalty||Normal||1 hour||1 day|
|Hurt||1||Normal||1 hour||3 days|
|Injured||1||Half||1 hour||1 week*|
|Wounded||2||Walk||1 hour||1 month|
|Mauled||2||Hobble||3 hours||2 months|
|Crippled||5||Crawl||6 hours||3 months**|
|Incapacitated||Can't act||Can't move||12 hours||5 months|
* Injured or worse: If untreated, worsens by 1 lethal per day
** Crippled or worse: Requires continuous treatment to heal
- If you're incapacitated from bashing and take more bashing, it converts to lethal.
Bonuses (more dice or lower difficulty)
|Successful ambush||1 free attack, 1 per extra success|
|Spent previous turn(s) aiming*||1 each (max Perception), +2 with scope|
|Point-blank range (within 2 yards/meters)||2|
|Defender partly immobilized, knocked down, dazed/stunned||2|
|Defender completely immobilized||Automatically succeed|
* Requires Firearms 1+, or Archery 1+ for bow. No other actions except aiming. Target moving no faster than walk.
Penalties (fewer dice or higher difficulty)
|0 dots in talent||No penalty|
|0 dots in skill||1|
|0 dots in knowledge||Automatically fail|
|Abort/change action||1 (roll or spend Willpower to negate)|
|Attacker behind light cover (lying prone)||No penalty|
|Attacker behind good cover (behind wall)||1|
|Attacker behind superior cover (only head exposed)||2|
|Automatic fire / strafing*||2 (+10 attack dice)|
|Beyond normal range||2|
|Beyond maximum range (twice normal range)||Automatically fail|
|Blinded, close combat||2|
|Blinded, ranged combat||Automatically fail|
|Defender behind light cover (lying prone)||1|
|Defender behind good cover (behind wall)||2|
|Defender behind superior cover (only head exposed)||3|
|Dodge strafing attack||1|
|Facing multiple opponents in close combat||1 each, max 4|
|Facing opponent with longer melee weapon||1|
|Targeting medium location (limb, briefcase)||1|
|Targeting small location (hand, head, cellphone)||2 (+1 damage)|
|Targeting precise location (eye, heart, lock)||3 (+2 damage)|
|Three-round burst||1 (+3 attack dice)|
* Cannot target specific location. Clip must be at least half full. Strafing covers a 3 yard/meter area, halved if only one target.
** Does not apply if effect was prepared prior to combat, or if using martial arts as a practice or weapon as an instrument.
- V20 pages 271-286
- W20 pages 288-301
- M20 pages 409-430